Serving the Church Family
A few weeks ago Jackie started off our present sermon series about Growing as Christians. She helped us look at Romans 12 v1-13 where we see that all of our lives should be lived in sacrificial service to God. We can serve God when we are at work, when we are with our families and when we are alone. But we are also to serve in the church family - and this means serving our fellow Christians in any way we can.
We read: For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. (v4-6(a)) It then continues, with a list of examples of gifts and says “If someone’s gift is ______ let them ______.” In other words, whatever we are able to do, we should get on and do it for the benefit of others and the building up of the body. The list includes attitudes, actions and words - much wider than we often think of gifts - and these are just examples, there are so many more ways. So if there is anything we can do to serve, help and strengthen our church family let’s work out how we can put it into practice.
Here in Great Clacton there are many ways we can serve. Here are just a few, that are on my mind at the moment. Maybe God is prompting us to “to get on and do” one of these.
- join one of the Sunday rotas - Tea/Coffee, Welcome, Read, Pray
- help clean one of the churches
- learn to ring the bells at St. John’s
- Children’s work - volunteer to help at a club
- help serve the food for tea at Tea Time Church
- pastoral care - find out how you can visit someone who can’t get out to church - . there is even training to help with this, if that would help
- commit to praying for what we are doing either at home or together
- offer to host (or even learn to lead) a home group
- join the group that helps looks after our buildings or the one that plans the events we organise as a church
- come to the St. John’s or St. Mark’s Working Party mornings - coming up…
Thurs 31st Oct (am) at St John’s; Sat 23rd Nov (am) at St Mark’s.
Please come and chat about any of these… or anything else. Mark.